- a) We deploy idriveCBS backup server in your datacenter.
- b) We provision a VMware ESXi host in our datacenter as a DR host.
- c) Prepare an idriveOBM machine in our datacenter to backup the running VMs on the DR host.
- a) For each guest VM, create a VMware backup set with idriveOBM installed on the vCenter or a standalone machine that is on the same network as the production VMware ESXi host. Enable Granular Restore and VM Run Direct features in the backup set, and set to back up to two destinations, one to local/mapped drive, and the other to your idriveCBS backup server in datacenter.
- b) When you need to restore individual files within a backed up VM, use the Granular Restore feature to open and/or restore the desired files quickly, without the need to spin-up the whole backed up VM.
- c) If a particular VM failed on the production VMware ESXi host, use the VM Run Direct feature to spin-up the backed up VM from the local backup destination to the production ESXi host, and at the same time migrate the VM back to the host with our Live Migration feature.
- d) When disaster strikes, you can spin-up all the backed up VMs on the DR host through idriveCBS' agentless restore feature within minutes, and at the same time migrate those VMs to the DR host with our Live Migration feature.
- e) After all the backed up VMs are migrated to the DR host, edit the DNS records to fail over the traffic to the spun-up VMs on your DR host.
- f) Use your idriveOBM machine in your data center to keep backing up the guest VMs running on the DR host.
- g) After your site has been restored with all the original machines in place, you can take the datac enter's guest VMs backup set to restore the VMs to the original production VMware ESXi host.
- h) Change the DNS records to switch the traffic of the VMs from the DR host to the original production host.
Granular Restore of files from Guest VMs
Granular Restore enables you to access and restore any files from a single pass backup, without the need to restore an entire VM, boot up the VM, or perform a secondary redundant backup. This dramatically reduces the recovery time objective (RTO) and storage resources on a second file level backup.
Spin-up VM instantly
If a backed up VM is failed or deleted accidentally, our VM Run Direct feature allows you to keep the downtime within minutes, as you can run the VM directly from its backup file on its original or standby host, without the need to restore the full backed up image file first.
Live VM migration with or without vMotion
With the VM Run Direct feature, you can choose to migrate the running backup VM to its original or an alternate host machine with or without VMware vMotion license.
Point in time VM restore
Our VM Run Direct or full VM restore allow you to run or restore a VM from any point in time that it was backed up. The VM booted up or restored will appear on the VMware ESXi host you selected for restore.
Backup through vCenter or a standalone machine
idrive VMware backup solution can be deployed in VMware environment with or without a vCenter server, therefore highly flexible. Even you just got one or two ESXi host without vCenter, you can still properly backed up them.
VMware VDDK / CBT supported
Our solution supports the latest VMware's native VDDK and CBT (changed block tracking) technologies that enable fast incremental backup and recovery of your Guest VMs.
ESXi free version supported
Unlike other backup solutions which only support ESXi paid version, idrive VMware backup solution extended our support to ESXi free version users. Although you can't use Granular Restore or fast VDDK mode with CBT for Run Direct , you can still make use of our non-VDDK mode to back up all your VMs.
The multi-threading implementation in idrive VMware backup solution will utilize the computing power of multiple CPU cores for creating multiple backup and restore threads to give you super-fast VM backup and restore performance.
Multi-destination backup to local and cloud destinations
You can back up the VMware Guest VMs to multiple destinations to minimize the risk of data loss, including local drive (of the vCenter or standalone machine), network share, FTP/SFTP server, and public cloud storage sequentially or concurrently. Granular Restore supports all destinations, whereas Run Direct supports idriveCBS and local storage destination.
Flexible retention policy
idrive VMware backup solution allows you set flexible retention policies, including daily, weekly, monthly, yearly policies to suit your IT audit and compliance needs.
Manage all backup users through a centralized web console
In case you have many VMware hosts managed by many system administrators, idrive VMware backup solution allows you to create multiple backup user accounts for these administrators in a centralized management software, and centrally monitor and manage their activities through a web console. Clear audit trail is available for compliance purpose.